Monday, June 20, 2011

Decorating and Activites Around the Home Soon!

So, we moved into this monstrosity of a house the day before Thanksgiving. I say that, because it's 3x the square footage of our old house, therefore...we have a LOT of open space and are still not fully settled in. We were fortunate to get a short sale from some very nice people who took very good care of their things and had Impecable taste!  So we didn't HAVE to change a thing before moving in.  We had the carpets cleaned (kitchen/hall/formal dining room hardwoods, cleaned out things to feel confident settling in, and so on.  We were lucky! And the colors TOTALLY go with the furniture  and decor style we have.  But I'm ready ro make it ours!! 

I have talked to Stephen about changing the color on the accent walls in the living room and dining room, since before we moved....since we lived off Roscoe, wanting it that color in the main room.  And there is a slight chance....he may let me paint on Saturday!! The colors are good, and look great together, they are just not MINE.  The kitchen is a beautiful shade of deep red, and compares to our old dining room, and so we have pleanty of decor to take care of it.  But the acccent walls are a taupey greyish hunter green....I don't hate them, don't love them, but it's just not the plan.  So I am ready for the light light blue....clean, crisp, airy, etc. 

Then we need to work on our landscaping. On our walk tonight, we found ourselves judging the landscaping or more often....lack of landscaping that is shown in the subdivision. So the secound we pulled in....we started pulling and ripping and getting rid of stuff!!  So we have some plans for some uprooting, tilling, planting, and probably some arguing about what should go where, what to plant, etc.

Now, I picked up this realatively large piece of material at a thrift store the other day, and am CONVINCED that I can find a little more SOMEWHERE to try to make some little valances/window treatments for our kitchen.  Here is the material...I dig it! And it would connect the warm reds and browns and the lighter blue to blend together well and connect them all since the rooms are all open to one another.
And here are some ideas of different ways to create that custom look for our kitchen nook....I prefere the 2nd one below....I'll let ya know how it turns out and how far we get....


IDEAS!! PLEASE!!!  I need Amy or Blair to come over and give me pointers on what I shoud do and how I can reshimmy items in my home to look more cohesive.  Any ways, just some ideas....if you  are a landscaping pro, let us know...that is one area we do not excel at!!  Not bad, just lots and lots of landscaping to deal with.

The plan:
1) Landscaping upheaval
2) New Landscaping
3) Paint our 3 accent walls light gray/blue
4) Look for fabric and come up with a plan for the kitchen windows
5) Hang the dining room window treatment
6) Begin construction of the Kitchen window treatmet
7) Tell Stephen about all of this.

Much love.

2 comments:

  1. I'm not the best interior decorator. I have to find pictures and then re-create what I see. I wish I had that creative mind, but alas, we can't have it all.

    However, Jake is an excellent landscaper. His dad use to run a company. So if you want some help with design or layout, ask Jake for tips.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that number 7 is inform Stephen of the plan. :) ..... I LOVE that fabric! It will bring all of your colors together perfectly.

    ReplyDelete