Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Lessons Learned

So another Valentine's Day has come and gone...and I find myself ashamed of my being SUCKED into the cliche' and overlooking the blessings I have tucked away in my pocket.



My wonderful, precious, thoughtful husband was so so excited to give me my Valentine on Wednesday night before V-day. Now...my reservation was this, once I open the gift, is Valentine's over?? So I hesitated, but her persisted...So he brought down 2 boxes. I had him help me open them and what to my surprise....but the most thoughtful gift ever...my very own Cotton Candy Machine! Now, this may not wow you all...but I turn into a 3 yr old when pink cotton candy is around! I LOVE IT!!



I was surprised, because the cliche' in me was hoping for jewlery or something "romantic." So we made our VERY OWN Cotton Candy that night, along with a rather well spread mess in the kitchen consisting of webbed confectioned sugar in odd places, and little pink sugar crystals all over!! But it was FABULOUS!!


Saturday night (our technical V-day) came around and I cooked our family famous Chicken Marsala, and wondered....any surprises lurking around the corner?? Well, I couldn't wait, I had to ask... I went there. Anything else?? (Interject the stupid selfish girl comments here)


Why do I want the candy, jewlery, FLOWERS!?!?! They are so effortless! But I was there...in the moment, Stephen left to get flowers, which he had planned to pick up on errands that morning, but I was with him. So there I sat, on the kitchen floor, crying (hormones too) SO disappointed that I knew my reaching left my wonderful man to feel like his well thought out gift wasn't enough.


Apologies flew, hugs and kisses covered, forgiveness was given, and the cliche was understood. To think that a silly day given to us by Hallmark & Hershey could make me ignore the gift I have in a husband who is my DREAM Valentine 364 other days of the year!! THAT, is priceless. The flowers for no reason mean so much more. The gifts thought over just for me...that's amazing...The love he not only speaks so often, but goes out of his way to show, THAT is better than anything he could ever give me on one silly day.

What I've learned?

Never EVER overlook the sweet things.

Never EVER ask for flowers, they are not as special as surprise flowers.

Always be thankful for what you have.


NEVER EVER forget to see the beauty that you get to wake up next to in your husband's eyes when you wake up laughing and smiling at each other.

Candy=$20

Roses on Valentines Day=$50

Jewlery for Mom=$75

A Husband Who is a Valentine 365 days of the year=PRICELESS


I love you Boo. I'm sorry for my superficial moments. You never cease to amaze me that I could have so much love thrown at me all the time!!

2 comments:

  1. you are so cute. i love that you're willing to share lessons learned. i am the queen of expectation. and am quickly learning that what i don't expect out of wade is much better - it's ... REAL.

    ReplyDelete