Monday, May 17, 2010

Keeping the "US" Spouse

So the hubster and I are looking for new hobbies to adopt. We have our individual things, he fishes and golfs, I shop and decorate, now is time for our WE activities!  Maybe THEN was the time for it but now is the time we are putting intentional efforts towards it.

We are looking at several options that we are interested in....cooking classes, wine tastings, dance classes, travel clubs, etc. But it has to be SOMETHING other then things we already do and something requiring child care.

We made a new commitment/amendment to our marriage vows.  This has 3 factors:
1) Set a specific amount of time aside each day (15 minute minimum) without interruption to talk about our day, what's going on, etc.  No phones, laptops, TV, baby either napping or asleep.

2) Commit to having additional bible study/couple's devotional time at least 3 nights a week.

3) Start a new hobby every month or visit other new hobbies on a date night that requires childcare.

So dating, growing, connecting, and maintaining an "US" so we are not lost into our  SWEET baby girl's wonderfulness!

This is the point where you post something that provides us with different ideas and recommendations of fun things in the middle TN area that would be good for us as a couple.

I know in July we are going on the murder mystery dinner train ride to Baxter to a Jazz Festival. Anyone wanna join???

10 comments:

  1. I love this. Jeremy and I need to do this as well. When we went to Asheville last weekend I felt like we finally looked up and realized each other was still there!

    And this murder mystery train ride sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go to the new Sips and Strokes in Hendersonville. You can sip whine and paint a picture to hang in your house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about riding bikes together? Or going to Arrington. Or the Frist on Fridays (they offer cocktails while you check out exhibits). I'm begging JD to teach me to golf so we can do it together, he has finally agreed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never had the chance to go, but I know a lot of people who love Arrington Vineyards (south of Nashville). Coffee shop dates are always a hit with us. I would love to take cooking classes. Williams Sonoma has free sessions. Check the calendar on their website.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good ideas! I may have tocheck into that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So inspirational Joanna! I've never thought to find hobbies for *us*. We like to take long drives and get lost {GPS on our phones help get us home, eventually}, but that's getting harder and harder to do with a toddler in the backseat. Mostly, I try to get involved in his hobbies and he tries to get involved in mine... meaning he holds the bags. :)

    I want to know more about this train ride! That sounds soo fun! I've always wanted to do that.

    -Brooke Morgan

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds awesome Joe and like advice that anybody could take into any relationship! Tell me more about this train ride! I'm quite interested!;) May be requiring a trip to Nashville!;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's one that goes from Lebanon to Baxter. I have been on it a couple of times for the Watertown trip for the mile long yardsale on the square, it was lots of fun! It's a little pricey but a great time! We should get a bunch of people on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey girl, if you like train rides, there is a really nice dinner train in Bardstown, KY. There is also a nice bed & breakfast up there to stay at.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I know you guys have started Weight Watchers and I just want to say that that was a HUGE "US" moment for Andrew and me. It really bonded us as we bonded in discipline, etc. Something you guys can look forward to.

    ReplyDelete